serving size: 4 | time: 30 mins
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp ground pepper
- 10 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 fresh rosemary sprig, stem removed
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 4 fresh rosemary sprigs
- 10 pcs organic calamansi, halved & seeded
- 2 carrots, cut into eighths
For the cauliflower mash:
- 1 kg organic cauliflower heads, cut into florets
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbsp buttermilk powder + ½ cup water
- 4 tbps organic buttery spread
- ½ cup organic cheddar cheese, grated
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- Sea salt and white pepper to taste
- Chopped fresh chives
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C)
- Rub the chicken generously with sea salt, pepper, garlic, 1 rosemary sprig and olive oil.
- Cut calamansi in half and squeeze them lightly all over the chicken.
- Stuff the squeezed calamansi, garlic and remaining rosemary sprigs inside chicken cavity.
- Cut the wing tips and truss the chicken with twine, holding the wings down and legs together.
- Place the chicken in the center of a baking dish.
- Brush the carrots with olive oil and sprinkle with rosemary, salt and pepper. Arrange around the chicken on the baking dish.
- Roast for 1 hour, or until chicken is cooked through, brushing the chicken with its own drippings every 20 minutes.
- While the chicken is roasting, steam cauliflower florets and garlic until overcooked, around 12-15 minutes.
- Place the cooked cauliflower and garlic in a food processor. Add buttermilk mixture, butter, cheddar, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Process until smooth and creamy. Note: If you find it too watery, heat the mash in a pan for a few minutes to reduce the liquid. Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with chives.
- Transfer mashed cauliflower to serving bowl and garnish with chives.
- To make gravy, pour chicken drippings to a small pot and skim the fat. Cook on low heat for 2 minutes with tsp of cornstarch until slightly thickened.