A few fine lines, a hint of gray. The normal changes of aging are inevitable. But with skin rejuvenation products, facial treatments that don’t involve surgery, and hair care products, there are plenty of options for women over 50 who want to enhance their natural beauty. The Effects of Age Time in the sun, smoking, diet, and heredity all have effects that become evident on your skin as you get older. Stress, gravity, and obesity also affect the way skin looks. And as you age, your skin doesn’t produce new cells as quickly as it used to so it gradually becomes less elastic and prone to dryness.
Something similar happens to cells that give your hair its color. Hair pigment cells become less efficient at renewing themselves, which makes hair gray.
7 Natural Beauty Tips for Your Skin
A few simple steps are all you need to care for your skin as you get older. These natural beauty tips can get you started.
1. If you smoke, stop. Research shows that smoking prematurely ages your skin.
2. Just say no to sunbathing and tanning salons. Stay out of the sun between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. The sun’s rays are the strongest then. Freckles, age spots, and blotchy complexions are linked to sun exposure.
3. Wear sunscreen religiously. Use products with SPF 30 or higher and with both UVB and UVA protection every day. Sun damage can result in such changes as fine wrinkles and an uneven skin tone.
4. Check your skin often for skin cancer. Older, fair-skinned people are at high risk and must have a yearly check.
5. Soothe dry skin. Use a humidifier. Also use moisturizing soaps and lotions.
6. Eat right and hydrate. Good nutrition helps the body repair skin. Drinking lots of water helps hydrate skin from the inside out.
7. Try anti-aging products. If you’re over age 50, over-the-counter creams and lotions can help enhance your natural beauty by rejuvenating your skin.
4 Natural Beauty Tips for Healthy Hair
There is no cure for gray hair. You can color it though if you want a younger look. Use these tips for healthy, youthful looking hair.
1. Try highlighting. A few strands of color painted throughout your hair can subtly hide gray hairs, especially if your natural hair color is fairly light.
2. Think carefully about full-blown color. Women who want a solid, darker color should realize it’s going to require regular maintenance every six to eight weeks as the color grows out.
3. Try a new style. Wear your hair any way you want. Forget those old “rules” about not having long hair after a certain age. Your hairstyle should be what you prefer, no matter what your age.
4. Fix thinning hair. A shorter cut gives more volume to thinning hair. Sometimes the right product, like a volumizing shampoo, can solve the problem
Your favorite natural beauty tip may be as simple as wearing a radiant smile. Or it may mean using a few products or treatments along the way. Whatever your choice, taking care of yourself is the most beautiful thing of all.