You can do a lot to prevent kitchen fires. Although you can’t remove every possible source of a kitchen fire, you can minimize fire risks by removing hazards and maintaining your kitchen. Follow these prevention tips to keep your kitchen safe.

 

 

  • Don’t use metal in the microwave. The sparks can turn into fire or can seriously damage your microwave.
  • Install a smoke detector. Install it near the kitchen, but not inside, because you don’t want the small amount of smoke or steam that cooking generates to constantly trigger the alarm — but you do want it to sense an actual kitchen fire.
  • Unplug electric appliances when not in use. Toaster ovens, mixers, coffee makers, and so on, continue to draw electricity even when they’re not turned on. So if the wiring is old or faulty, or if the thermostat overheats, a fire could break out.
  • Don’t overfill pots or pans with oil or grease. The hot oil or grease, can splatter and cause a fire.
  • Always roll up long sleeves. You don’t need your beautiful flowing silk sleeves trailing in the spaghetti sauce, and you certainly don’t need to catch on fire!
  • Wipe up spills and don’t cook on a dirty stove. Grease buildup is flammable. A clean stove is a
    fire-free stove.
  • Never leave cooking food unattended. Turn off the burner or oven if you need to leave the
    house or get caught up in a phone call.
  • Keep combustibles away from the stove. Dish towels, pot holders, and paper towels should never be placed near the stove. You might have left a burner on by accident, and built-up heat could ignite combustibles left near or on the stove or oven.
  • Use caution when lighting the stove. Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions when lighting the pilot light or burner. Keep appliances clean, and in good repair.
  • Dump the crumb tray and clean out the toaster crumbs periodically. Wipe out the microwave. Clean the oven. Check any appliances that start acting funny, then have them repaired or replace them.

Source: dummies.com